Title: City Hall, 165 Church Street, Second Floor, Meeting Room #2
Description: The meeting was called to Order by Chairman, Frank Cochran.
10 Present: Frank Cochran, Robert Spirito, Leslie Radcliffe, Wayne Hobbs, Bianca Bowles, Catherine Gootkin, Barbara Carroll, Lena Largie, Evelise Ribeiro
Staff Present: Reginald Thomas (CRB Consultant), Roderick Williams (Corporate Counsel)
2 Absent with notice: Evette Hamilton, Noemi Rivera (emails were sent to the Secretary)
The minutes of the January 10, 2013 meeting were read and unanimously approved with necessary corrections.
Internal Affairs Report:
(Lt. Duff was not able to make this meeting but forwarded the Internal Affairs Report)
• Closed cases were assigned to Panels by Frank Cochran:
o Panel A: 001-13-C, 003-13-C, 008-13-C, 016-13-C, 017-13-C
o Panel B: 142-12-C, 148-12-C, 162-12-C, 165-12-C, 168-12-C
General Policy Items:
• District management representative vacancies on the CRB were discussed. Dixwell and East Rock seats on the board have been vacated by the resignation of members. Newhallville seat has been vacated by consecutive absences of member. Letters will be sent to these management Teams requesting that new representatives be appointed hopefully by the next meeting. The
• The question ‘should we do Roll Call’ was raised with comments on both sides expressed. The Chair called the Roll, and we will continue to call roll at meetings.
• IA has still not yet responded to the CRB’s inquiry of the number of 2012 cases still open.
• The CRB will make the recommendation that a copy of the Internal Affairs Investigation Summary Report be sent with the notification letter to the complainant at the close of the investigation, and that the notification letter with investigation summary be sent in a more timely fashion (no more than 30 days after the close of the investigation. This recommendation will be made during the April meeting to which Assistant Chief Thaddeus Reddish will be invited.
• The board was in general agreement that the Bylaws need further review and modification to reflect the current procedures of the Board.
Reports by CRB:
• CRB Board Members, Panels A & B reported case reviews completed.
• The ‘Charter Revision’ Subcommittee has not met to fully discuss and present to the full CRB recommendations to the Charter Revision Commission on the matter of inclusion of the Civilian Review Board as a Charter item. It was noted that the CRB Chair had been asked by the Chair of the Charter Revision Subcommittee C to attend and speak at their meetings, but the Chair advised that his comments were his personal opinions and did not represent a consensus of the CRB. The Charter Revision Subcommittee C was meeting at 7:00pm this evening, and our meeting was called early so that the Chair would be able to attend at the request of the Subcommittee C. Other members of the CRB who were interested in attending were welcome.
A motion to adjourn was made, seconded and approved unanimously.
The next meeting of the Civilian Review Board is scheduled for Thursday, April 11, NHPD Headquarters, One Union Avenue, 3rd Floor Conference Room, New Haven.
Submitted by: Leslie Radcliffe, Secretary