Title: Special Meeting, City Hall, 165 Church Street, Second Floor, Meeting Room #2
Description: Date: 11-20-13
Title: City Hall, 165 Church Street, 2nd Floor Room 2, New Haven, CT
The meeting was called to Order by Wayne Hobbs, Vice Chair in absence of Barbara Carroll, Chair.
• Present: Wayne Hobbs, Leslie Radcliffe, Robert Spirito, Lena Largie, Bianca Bowles, Noemi Rivera, George Carter, Catherine Gootkin, Evette Hamilton,
• Absent: Barbara Carroll, Frank Cochran, Evelise Ribeiro, Reginald Thomas (CRB Coordinator)
• Staff: Roderick Williams (Corporate Counsel)
The purpose of this meeting was to address specific matters of eligibility, nominations, elections and voting pursuant to CRB Bylaws.
Sec. 3.6. An Officer who has served two consecutive terms may not stand for re-election until a full two- year term has passed. This limitation may be waived by a 2/3 majority vote of the entire board.
• Frank Cochran submitted an opinion to Corp. Counsel that Barbara Carroll was not eligible to be elected interim chair during the special election of September 2013. He informed the board that he had no issue with her being elected Chair for the next term beginning January 1, 2014.
• The board members present had extensive discussion on the interpretation of the intention of the Bylaws on the matter of eligibility of a member to stand for reelection. It was felt by the majority that the intention was that no one member would serve more than 2 consecutive terms and that the language needed to be further clarified to express that intention. This would be an item that would further addressed by the Bylaws Committee. Barbara Carroll’s full term as elected Chair ended December 31, 2011. After discussion, it was the consensus of the CRB that Barbara Carroll is eligible to be nominated and reelected to serve as Chair in the upcoming elections for the 2014 term.
Sec. 3.9 New Members. New members shall: a) Comply with initial orientation as outlined in 3.8; and b) Agree to training as outlined in 3.8. New members shall be sworn in after complying with a) and b) and attending three (3) regular CRB meetings. After being sworn in, new members shall be eligible to vote on issues, vote in Board elections, attend executive sessions and participate in review panels.
• Frank Cochran submitted the opinion to Corp Counsel that George Carter should not be considered as a ‘new member’. Barbara Carroll submitted the opinion that George Carter be considered as a new member. George Carter vacated his position as the Dixwell representative to the CRB after the January 2013 meeting.
• All members present felt that George Carter did not need to repeat the orientation and training as ‘new’ CRB members participate in. However, it was felt by some that as he had been absent from the board for several months, it would be appropriate for him to attend 3 consecutive board meetings before being sworn in as a full member of the board. By doing so would show his commitment of service to the board. After much discussion, it was decided that the matter of George Carter’s eligibility would be tabled until the December meeting.
A motion to adjourn was made, seconded and approved unanimously.
Submitted by: Leslie Radcliffe, Secretary