54 Meadow Street
Health Programs staff educate residents about child passenger safety. For the sixth consecutive year, the Health Education Assistant has co-led Safe Kids Greater New Haven with Quinnipiac University’s Occupational Therapy Department.
Safe Kids is an international organization that works to reduce unintentional injury among children under the age of 15. Unintentional injury is the leading cause of death among children in this age group. In the U.S., Safe Kids U.S.A. oversees coalitions in many states such as Safe Kids CT. Safe Kids Greater New Haven, is a regional chapter of Safe Kids CT.
Safe Kids Greater New Haven Events
Safe Kids Greater New Haven implements a variety of child safety programs and activities. Program topics include pedestrian safety, bike safety, Halloween safety, and others.
During 2011, Safe Kids Greater New Haven participated in the following events, with over 750 families served and more than 1,700 educational materials distributed:
- International Walk to School Day
- Environmental Health’s Lead Safety Day
- Halloween Safety Presentations at Helen St. School and the Keefe Center
- Yale University’s Youth Day Fair
- St. Andrew’s Nursery School Fall Festival
- Ecuadorian Consulate’s Health Fair
- North Haven Fire Department’s Bicycle Helmet Fitting events
- Healthy Start Family Fun & Fitness Day
- New Haven Fire Department’s Fire Prevention Kick-off Event
- New Haven Employee Wellness Fair
Safe Kids Greater New Haven links
Below are links to Safe Kids' car seat pamphlet, a link to the Safe Kids CT Website, a booster seat brochure (in English and Spanish) and a list of car seat fitting stations:
Car Seat Fitting Stations in Greater New Haven
Child car safety factsheet
Child passenger safety laws in CT.
CT booster seat law
Safe Kids Car Seat Information