54 Meadow Street
Health Programs staff educate residents about child passenger safety. For the sixth consecutive year, the Health Education Assistant has co-led Safe Kids Greater New Haven with Quinnipiac University’s Occupational Therapy Department.
Safe Kids is an international organization that works to reduce unintentional injury among children under the age of 15. Unintentional injury is the leading cause of death among children in this age group. In the U.S., Safe Kids U.S.A. oversees coalitions in many states such as Safe Kids CT. Safe Kids Greater New Haven, is a regional chapter of Safe Kids CT.
Safe Kids Greater New Haven Events
Safe Kids Greater New Haven implements a variety of child safety programs and activities. Program topics include pedestrian safety, bike safety, Halloween safety, and others.
During 2011, Safe Kids Greater New Haven participated in the following events, with over 750 families served and more than 1,700 educational materials distributed:
- International Walk to School Day
- Environmental Health’s Lead Safety Day
- Halloween Safety Presentations at Helen St. School and the Keefe Center
- Yale University’s Youth Day Fair
- St. Andrew’s Nursery School Fall Festival
- Ecuadorian Consulate’s Health Fair
- North Haven Fire Department’s Bicycle Helmet Fitting events
- Healthy Start Family Fun & Fitness Day
- New Haven Fire Department’s Fire Prevention Kick-off Event
- New Haven Employee Wellness Fair
Child Passenger Safety links
Below are links to several child passenger safety educational materials, a list of Greater New Haven car seat fitting stations and the Safe Kids CT website.
Car Seat Fitting Stations in Greater New Haven
Safe Kids CT website
Child passenger safety laws in CT.
Safe Kids Car Seat Information