NEW HAVEN TO CELEBRATE INTERNATIONAL PARK(ING) DAY
(9/19/2013) Parking spaces at scattered sites across downtown will be transformed into art exhibits, lounge areas, “idea” parks and more.
(New Haven, CT) Friday September 20th is International PARK(ing) Day! PARK(ing) Day is an annual event that is celebrated across the world where artists, designers and citizens transform metered parking spots into temporary public parks. This year, several downtown businesses and organizations will be creatively illustrating that the streets can be for more than just cars. There will be spaces reserved this year throughout Downtown, all doing something different.
The day-long event will kick-off at 8:30 am at Pitkin Plaza (on Orange Street) in front of Devil’s Gear with a free “Bike to Work and School” breakfast.
• Yale Transportation Options – (Holly Parker) Birthday Party themed space with cupcakes, coffee, cider, balloons and games on Broadway in front of Urban Outfitters.
• Yale Urban Collective – (Josh Isackson) Couches and lemonade themed space on College Street between Elm and Wall Streets.
• See Click Fix & The Grove – (Zack Beatty & Annie Testa) Pairing up to show off their “Chairagami” seating and place to play some ping pong! Happening on Chapel Street between State and Orange Streets.
• Devil's Gear Bikes – (Matt Feiner) Showing off some old style bikes in a Bike Park on Orange Street in front of Pitkin Plaza.
• Arts Council of New Haven – (Cindy Clair) Will have an outdoor lounge area complete with a Blue Band on Audubon Street in front of Koffee.
• Street Smarts – (TT&P Department) Will be extending the Green into the street with a Bean Bag Toss and prizes on Church Street directly across from City Hall.
• Parkmobile – (Bob Bartley) Enjoy a place to sit down and relax in a busy commercial area.
• Yale Entrepreneurial Institute – (Brita Belli) An Idea Park where people can sit down and share ideas and solutions on College Street between Grove and Wall Streets.
• Co-op High School – (Kristen Wetmore) Making the parking space into an Art Walk with student made sculptures at the intersection of College and Crown Streets.
WHEN: FRIDAY, September 20, 2013. Kick-off will be at 8:30am; but Park(ing) spaces will run all day.
WHERE: Kick off will be on Orange Street in front of Devil’s Gear; but day-long Park(ing) sites will be scattered across Downtown. Locations listed above and a map of all sites here: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zN23YM0Nt5JY.kKrqlRDiHpQ4