Welcome to the New Haven Mayor's Office
Return To City Homepage Menu is below
 
  • ONLINE SERVICES
  • FORMS
  • CALENDARS
  • EMERGENCY INFO
  • InfoNewHaven
  • Return Home
  •  


  • Facebook
    Twitter


    Office Of The Mayor

    NEW HAVEN’S HILLHOUSE AVENUE BRIDGE RE-OPENS AS ADDITIONAL INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECTS PROGRESS

    (12/29/2008) NEW HAVEN- Mayor John DeStefano, Jr. led a ribbon-cutting ceremony as the Hillhouse Avenue bridge reopened today. The bridge, which had been closed for little more than one year, was entirely replaced. Two pedestrian bridges are being constructed as part of the Hillhouse Avenue project and are expected to open for pedestrian use in the spring. The original Hillhouse Avenue Bridge was built in 1827 to cover the Farmington Canal. This bridge was replaced in 1910 as roadway uses began to change. The cost of the main bridge was $2 million while construction of the pedestrian bridges will run nearly $2.5 million. These costs are covered 80% through a Federal grant while the remaining 20% were paid for a by a benefactor through Yale University.

    Two additional bridges are being replaced over the Canal: the Temple Street and Prospect Street Bridges. Temple Street is undergoing a complete replacement and should open to the public in the spring. The cost of the Temple Street project nears $1million with 67% paid for by Yale University and 33% covered by the Federal Government through a grant program.

    The Prospect Street Bridge project is currently out to bid with construction expected to begin in late spring of 2009. Costs for this project are estimated at around $3 million. This project also falls under the agreement between Yale University and the City of New Haven where the University will cover 67% of design and construction expenses while Federal grants pay for the remaining amount.

    The three bridges over the Canal are among many infrastructure improvements the City is interested in achieving in coming years. As the United States Congress prepares to begin assembling a stimulus package to support infrastructure projects nationwide, in an effort to boost the country’s economy, New Haven is prepared to submit requests. At the top of New Haven’s list is an improvement project in two phases for Quinnipiac Avenue. In a recent letter to Quinnipiac Avenue residents DeStefano wrote, “Improving Quinnipiac Avenue is not just beneficial to you and you neighbors but this project will also serve to create jobs and enhance the appeal of the community surrounding this important artery which is important for the housing market.”

    A number of other projects are on New Haven’s list including: State Street Bridge improvements, Davis Street School, Central Utility Plant and Fuel Cell, Wind Turbines at Sound School, Shoreline Stabilization and River Street Industrial Park.

    [END]

    Contact Name: Jessica Mayorga

    Contact Email: jmayorga@newhavenct.net

    Contact Phone: 203-946-7660


    Return to Previous Page

    Click To Visit The Mayor
    Mayor Harp With Boy Scouts
    Mayor Harp With Governor Malloy
    Gathering At City Hall
    Footer For City Site
    Residents | Visitors | Business | Online Services | Q&A | Guide to New Haven | Government | Forms Central | Calendars | Emergency Info
    Any comments/suggestions E-mail the Webmaster for the City of New Haven or contact the Mayor's Office, 165 Church Street, New Haven CT 06510, Telephone 203-946-8200.
    New Haven City Seal