Procurement Procedures & Policy Overview
Small Purchases - Not requiring 3 quotes
- $500 for a single purchase
- $1,500 for single purchases related to mechanical, plumbing, electrical, painting and carpentry
- Other exceptions may be yearly subscriptions, utilities, travel and some equipment maintenance contracts
Quotes - Requires 3 quotes (Non-Construction)
- Purchases between $500 and $10,000 (which do not fall into the Small Purchases category)
- All purchases of this type require three quotes which can utilize the City's new web based quote system.
Commodity & Service Related - Sealed Bids
- Commodities and Service related solicitations greater than $10,000, reference Sealed Bid section for details.
Request for Proposal (RFP) & Request for Qualifications (RFQ)
- Sealed Formal solicitation whereas the City of New Haven requests an end product without the actual specifications (RFP). The City from time to time will also seek the qualifications of prospective respondents which will later respond to an RFP (RFQ).
Construction Bids - Sealed
- These formal bids are typically in excess of $10,000. The City and or its consultant will prepare Bid specifications and technical drawings.
- Business Enterprises located within New Haven County. All contractors must be registered and approved by the Small Contractor Development. Only SCD registered contractors are permitted to bid on these projects.
Minority Business Commitment
- It is a goal of the City of New Haven to increase the number of minorities business that participate in all City contracts. To this end, the City shall encourage good faith efforts by all parties who engage in governmental contracting. Moreover, the City is strongly committed to the utilization of minority firms/individuals for all goods and services. This is accomplished by providing all firms, regardless of race or nationality, equal access to the procurement process.
Image: Sailboat, New Haven Harbor